Professional Fighters League brings unique format, big prizes to Mandalay Bay

Posted Thursday, 10 October 2019 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Chris Curtis relocated to Las Vegas in January and immediately began training more intensely than he had at any other point in his 10-year professional mixed martial arts career. Twice a week, the 32-year-old Cincinnati native engages in double sparring sessions, scheduling a practice fight in the late morning/early afternoon before taking a couple of hours off and doing it all over again. “A lot of people are like, ‘Oh, you’re doing too much,’ ” Curtis says. Overtraining is a common problem among fighters, but Curtis has grown accustomed to explaining why he doesn’t believe he’s falling into that trap. There’s a purpose for preparing this way—it’s simulating what he’ll need to do October 11 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in the welterweight tournament of the 2019 Professional Fighters League playoffs. MMA was founded on fighters competing multiple times in the same night in a single-elimination tournament, and for the first time, that sort of endurance test is coming to Las Vegas. The PFL will stage six tournaments this month—two per card on October 11, 17 and 31—that will air on ESPN2 and ESPN+. The four men’s brackets—lightweight, welterweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight—all include eight participants and require them to fight twice in the same night to reach the finals. The championship matches will take place New Year’s Eve at Madison Square Garden in New York City, with each winner earning $1 million. “I love the idea of it,” Curtis says. “It’s an experience that can separate a lot of people. Anyone can do it once, but you have to be mentally strong to do it once, sit down and think, ‘OK, I’ve got to do it again.’ ” The Nevada State Athletic Commission approved the format because it’s structured not to be much different than a typical championship or main event bout. Fighters will not be asked to compete in more than five rounds on a single night. Quarterfinal matches last two rounds, with the semifinals increasing to three rounds. In the case of a draw on the scorecards after two rounds, judges are asked to identify which fighter they thought won overall. The setup heavily incentivizes first-round finishes in the quarterfinals. Fellow local fighter and former UFC veteran Vinny Magalhães can speak to the advantage of a quick finish in the PFL. He earned a submission victory in under two minutes in last year’s quarterfinals, then felt fresh enough to come back out and do it again in the semifinals. Although Magalhães went on to lose in the championship two months later, the 35-year-old is back in the light heavyweight field, where he will face Rashid Yusupov in the first round on October 31. “I’ve been through it, so it gives me a certain advantage. But the opponents have changed, it’s different and I’m older, so there are other advantages [for them],” Magalhães says. “But I know how to go through two fights in one night, and some of these guys don’t. They’ve never been through it in general. For me, I’ve been in [grappling] competitions where I have four, five, six different opponents in a night. To have two fights in a night is not much different than those events.” Magalhães says the seasonal format of PFL has rejuvenated his career. The PFL holds a regular season from May to August in which rostered fighters compete twice and earn points in the standings for wins and how quickly they were achieved. Those standings turn into tournament seedings. Magalhães rode the No. 1 seed to his second-place finish last year, which earned him $200,000 in addition to his base pay for the five fights between the regular season and postseason. “Last year, I didn’t make the million and I still made more in the six-month season than I had in the previous four years of fighting,” he says. “PFL is the greatest thing to have happened to me, and I think more guys are going to start realizing how big this can be.” Magalhães enters the light heavyweight tournament as the No. 3-seeded fighter this year. Curtis just cracked into the welterweight bracket at No. 7, meaning he faces a tough matchup with No. 2 seed Magomed Magomedkerimov, who defeated him by unanimous decision in the regular season. Because this is Curtis’ first time fighting more than once in a night, he sought advice from Magalhães and top lightweight seed Lance Palmer. “Universally they just said, ‘Don’t get hurt in the first fight and take it from there,’ ” Curtis said. “I’ve got to win the first fight and be smart while I do it. I don’t predict it’s going to be very hard on me, because I’m a very durable human. It’s been one of my blessings since childhood. I don’t usually get hurt in fights.” Event doctors must clear fighters for competition after the first bout, and then there’s usually about two hours until the next fight begins. Magalhães came out of his quarterfinal win last year so unscathed, he just relaxed before his return to the cage and went through his normal warm-up routine. Still, he knows there’s no guarantee it will go as smoothly this year. Magalhães and Curtis agree that flexibility will be key, leaving them unable to plan exactly how they’ll approach the downtime between fights. It might make the whole event more stressful, but for what’s at stake, it’s worth it. “A million bucks is a life-changing opportunity,” Curtis says. “So I told myself if I’m going to do this, I’ve got to make some sacrifices and make some changes. I’ve never fought for a million bucks, so in order to do something I’ve never done, I’ve got to train in a way I’ve never done, so Las Vegas, the mecca of MMA in the U.S.—I had to come out here.” This story originally appeared in the Las Vegas Weekly.

Other articles published by Las Vegas Sun

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

WASHINGTON — A political advocacy group founded by Bernie Sanders entered into a nondisclosure agreement with an African American political consultant that bars her from discussing a lawsuit alleging racial discrimination at the organization and the...

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Surrounded by other state leaders at a news conference Friday afternoon, Gov. Steve Sisolak spoke of the state’s preparation to handle the coronavirus, which some fear could become widespread in the United States.  Sisolak took a fatherly approach in...

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Surrounded by other state leaders at a news conference Friday afternoon, Gov. Steve Sisolak spoke of the state’s preparation to handle the coronavirus, which some fear could become widespread in the United States.  Sisolak took a fatherly approach in...

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

A major summit of Asian leaders scheduled for Las Vegas in the second week of March has been postponed by the Trump administration over growing fears of the coronavirus further spreading in the United States, several news outlets are reporting. The...

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Peter DeBoer's gameday press conference came with good news and bad news for Golden Knights fans, when the Golden Knights coach announced that forward Mark Stone will miss tonight's game against the Buffalo Sabres and goalie Robin Lehner will make his...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Two corrections officers were arrested today in the beating of a jail inmate in his cell after an argument with one of the officers, according to Metro Police. A Clark County Detention Center inmate alleged on Feb. 21 that he was beaten by two officers...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

DeMarco Murray will go down as one of the best football players to come out of Las Vegas. You can also argue that he deserves credit for starting the Bishop Gorman dynasty. Long before Murray led the NFL in rushing in 2014 with the Dallas Cowboys, or had ...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

The coronavirus is bringing a sense of fear to many people worldwide, and understandably so: the respiratory illness that originated in China has led to 2,462 deaths and has spread to at least 60 countries. The risk of the virus continuing to spread...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

A 72-year-old man was arrested on a murder count today after a woman, 75, was found dead this morning with blunt force trauma to her head, according to Henderson Police. Officers responded about 9:15 a.m. today to a call of unknown trouble in the 600...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

There’s no need for any qualifiers about the American Hockey League coming to the Las Vegas Valley. The AHL Board of Governors approved the sale and relocation of the AHL franchise in San Antonio, Texas, to the Golden Knights, who will move the team to ...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Nevada hasn’t had any reported cases of the coronavirus, the respiratory illness that originated in China. But the virus has spread to some 60 countries, and things could get worse, including in Nevada and the rest of the United States. The head of the ...

Nevada governor to speak about coronavirus preparations Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Gov. Steve Sisolak is scheduled to speak today about the steps Nevada is taking to prepare to combat the coronavirus. Sisolak has set a news conference for 3:15 p.m. today. There have been no cases of coronavirus in Nevada, though health officials are...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Raymond Santana, one of the members of the so-called Central Park Five, spent five years in prison for a crime for which he was later exonerated. The 45-year-old Santana will tell his story at 6 p.m. tonight at CSN’s North Las Vegas Campus as part of...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Two icons are wrapping up their current residency runs on the Strip this weekend: Cher at Park Theater and Mariah Carey at the Colosseum. We’re expecting Carey to return to Caesars Palace this year for more performances of “The Butterfly Returns,”...

Protecting those with pre-existing conditions is personal Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

When I was elected to the Nevada Assembly in 2018, I made it my mission to protect Nevadans with pre-existing conditions, expand access to preventive health care and stand up to the insurance companies who would deny care for my neighbors. For me, that...