'A campaign of slander': Takeaways from impeachment witness

Posted Thursday, 07 November 2019 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

WASHINGTON — A senior State Department official offered some of the most pointed testimony to date in the ongoing impeachment inquiry, alleging that President Donald Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani led a "campaign of slander" against the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, according to an interview transcript released by House investigators Thursday. George Kent, the deputy assistant secretary for European and Euroasian affairs, said he was largely sidelined on Ukraine policy by Trump's inner circle as Giuliani spearheaded a campaign to pressure Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter Biden's dealings in the Eastern European nation. Kent, a 27-year veteran of the foreign service, detailed his concerns to the House panel about how he felt Giuliani usurped the State Department on Ukraine policy and turned to a questionable former Ukraine politician to make the case for an investigation of the Bidens. Here are a few of the key takeaways from his testimony: TRUMP WANTED CLEAR CALL FOR INVESTIGATIONS Kent said that he was told by William Taylor, the top official in Ukraine, that he had been told that Trump "wanted nothing less than President Zelenskiy to go to (the) microphone and say investigations, Biden, and Clinton." He said Taylor had been told that by White House aide Tim Morrison, who had talked to Gordon Sondland, Trump's European Union ambassador. Sondland had a direct line to Trump. Kent said that "Clinton" was a shorthand for investigating the 2016 election. ___ CAMPAIGN OF LIES By mid-March of 2019, Kent told investigators Giuliani had become "almost unmissable" as he began a concerted push on Twitter and in media interviews to undermine the U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch. In a May interview, Giuliani had said that the ambassador was recalled because she wasn't sufficiently loyal to the president. Kent told House investigators that Giuliani "had been carrying on a campaign for several months full of lies and incorrect information about Ambassador Yovanovitch, so this was a continuation of his campaign of lies." "I believe that Mr. Giuliani, as a U.S. citizen, has First Amendment rights to say whatever he wants, but he's a private citizen," Kent said. "His assertions and allegations against former Ambassador Yovanovitch were without basis, untrue, period." At one point, Kent recalled that Sondland suggested that Yovanovitch do a video or tweet expressing support for the president's foreign policy, "essentially asking her to defend herself as opposed to having the State Department defend her." Yovanovitch told impeachment investigators that Trump had ordered her removal. She is set to testify publicly next week. ___ CONCERNS ABOUT HUNTER BIDEN Kent said he had voiced concerns to Biden's office about Hunter Biden being on the board of Burisma Holdings, a Ukraine energy firm, after learning of his role in February 2015. The vice president's son was paid $50,000 per month to serve on the board. "The message that I recall hearing back (then) was that the Vice President's son Beau was dying of cancer and that there was no further bandwidth to deal with family related issues at that time," Kent said. He said there were other priorities for the embassy, such as Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the burgeoning numbers of U.S. personnel, that took priority. Asked whether there had been any discussion of getting Hunter Biden off the board, or removing Ukraine from the vice president's portfolio, Kent said there wasn't. Trump has claimed without evidence that Biden as vice president pushed Ukraine's president at the time, Petro Poroshenko, to fire the nation's chief prosecutor Viktor Shokin, because he was investigating Burisma. Biden and other other European allies pressed for Shokin's firing because he was not doing enough to battle endemic corruption in Ukraine. Kent testified that there was "a broad-based consensus" at the time that Shokin was wasting U. S. taxpayer dollars and preventing reform. ___ GIULIANI'S PUSH FOR A SHOKIN VISA Kent said that in January, Giuliani had pressed the State Department to help Shokin obtain a visa, so he could travel to the U.S. "to share information suggesting that there was corruption at the U.S. embassy." "Knowing Mr. Shokin, I had full faith that it was bunch of hooey, and he was looking to basically engage in a con game out of revenge because he'd lost his job," Kent testified. When the State Department was unwilling to help, Giuliani reached out the White House. Trump's Deputy Chief of Staff Rob Blair called to inquire about the visa situation. "We laid out enough frank detail about U.5. Government engagement and assessment of Mr. Shokin. And Mr. Blair said, thank you very much, I 've heard enough," Kent recalled. "He identified his role at that point to ground truth the situation and look out after the interest of the office of the President. And I took from his response to us that he'd heard what he needed." The visa to Shokin was not granted.

Other articles published by Las Vegas Sun

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

SANTA ANA, Calif. — A Las Vegas man who attacked family members in a brawl at Disneyland that was captured on viral video is going to jail. Avery Robinson, 35, was sentenced Thursday in Orange County to six months in county jail and ordered to attend a ...

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

A judge set bail at $50,000 and ordered house arrest for a 47-year-old Metro Police officer accused of engaging in sex acts with girls he encountered at the junior-and-senior high school in the Colorado River resort town of Laughlin. Christopher Peto’s ...

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

WASHINGTON — A political advocacy group founded by Bernie Sanders entered into a nondisclosure agreement with an African American political consultant that bars her from discussing a lawsuit alleging racial discrimination at the organization and the...

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Surrounded by other state leaders at a news conference Friday afternoon, Gov. Steve Sisolak spoke of the state’s preparation to handle the coronavirus, which some fear could become widespread in the United States.  Sisolak took a fatherly approach in...

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Surrounded by other state leaders at a news conference Friday afternoon, Gov. Steve Sisolak spoke of the state’s preparation to handle the coronavirus, which some fear could become widespread in the United States.  Sisolak took a fatherly approach in...

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

A major summit of Asian leaders scheduled for Las Vegas in the second week of March has been postponed by the Trump administration over growing fears of the coronavirus further spreading in the United States, several news outlets are reporting. The...

Posted Saturday, 29 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Peter DeBoer's gameday press conference came with good news and bad news for Golden Knights fans, when the Golden Knights coach announced that forward Mark Stone will miss tonight's game against the Buffalo Sabres and goalie Robin Lehner will make his...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Two corrections officers were arrested today in the beating of a jail inmate in his cell after an argument with one of the officers, according to Metro Police. A Clark County Detention Center inmate alleged on Feb. 21 that he was beaten by two officers...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

DeMarco Murray will go down as one of the best football players to come out of Las Vegas. You can also argue that he deserves credit for starting the Bishop Gorman dynasty. Long before Murray led the NFL in rushing in 2014 with the Dallas Cowboys, or had ...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

The coronavirus is bringing a sense of fear to many people worldwide, and understandably so: the respiratory illness that originated in China has led to 2,462 deaths and has spread to at least 60 countries. The risk of the virus continuing to spread...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

A 72-year-old man was arrested on a murder count today after a woman, 75, was found dead this morning with blunt force trauma to her head, according to Henderson Police. Officers responded about 9:15 a.m. today to a call of unknown trouble in the 600...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

There’s no need for any qualifiers about the American Hockey League coming to the Las Vegas Valley. The AHL Board of Governors approved the sale and relocation of the AHL franchise in San Antonio, Texas, to the Golden Knights, who will move the team to ...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Nevada hasn’t had any reported cases of the coronavirus, the respiratory illness that originated in China. But the virus has spread to some 60 countries, and things could get worse, including in Nevada and the rest of the United States. The head of the ...

Nevada governor to speak about coronavirus preparations Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Gov. Steve Sisolak is scheduled to speak today about the steps Nevada is taking to prepare to combat the coronavirus. Sisolak has set a news conference for 3:15 p.m. today. There have been no cases of coronavirus in Nevada, though health officials are...

Posted Friday, 28 February 2020 ‐ Las Vegas Sun

Raymond Santana, one of the members of the so-called Central Park Five, spent five years in prison for a crime for which he was later exonerated. The 45-year-old Santana will tell his story at 6 p.m. tonight at CSN’s North Las Vegas Campus as part of...